If you’re planning to ship packages internationally, there are various steps you must take to have a good experience. Also, delivering overseas requires extensive research on the different carriers and the services they offer. All of this may make you want to limit your eCommerce business to local deliveries.
However, you don’t have to worry as this guide will provide you with all the necessary information regarding international shipments. Continue reading to learn the easiest way to ship and much more.
Table of Contents
Steps to Take Before Shipping Your Items Internationally
How to ship packages internationally requires certain measures. This includes preparing shipment as it is of great importance. Failing to follow any of these steps may result in your goods being damaged in transit. Some of the essential steps are as follows:
- Always pack your items according to their weight and materials. For instance, if you’re shipping delicate objects, you may want to put them in a box.
- Choose a box that is somewhat larger than the item to be placed inside it.
- Fill the extra space with cushioning materials to protect your valuable items.
- After that, measure the weight of your box or luggage after sealing it with packing tape.
- Look up the shipping restrictions for the country you’re delivering your parcel to. Also, check out the duty fees and insurance charges for valuable items.
- Next, use the international shipping calculator to obtain the best delivery prices for sending parcels abroad.
Which Shipping Companies Offer International Shipping?
Several great shipping companies offer worldwide deliveries. The carriers also provide various services you can opt for. These are as follows:
USPS is one of the most affordable options when it comes to shipping both locally and internationally. The low prices are at the cost of some premium features that this shipping company lacks. However, they offer various services to mail your parcels abroad. You can ship up to 70lbs of weight via USPS. Some of their services include:
- Priority Mail International
- Priority Mail Express International
- Global Express Guaranteed
These services differ in their costs and delivery timeframes. The Priority Mail International service also includes Flat Rate Boxes in three sizes. The maximum weight you can send with Small, Medium, and Large Boxes is 4lbs, 20lbs, and 70lbs, respectively. Use the shipping calculator for the cheapest delivery quotes.
UPS is another reliable choice for shipping internationally. However, sending parcels locally and packages weighing less than 10 pounds may be costly compared to other carriers. It features a multitude of delivery options for you to pick from, including:
- Worldwide Express
- Worldwide Economy
- Worldwide Saver
- Worldwide Expedited
- Next-Day Air
- Second-Day Air
These rates and delivery times vary with each service. Keep in mind that the cost will be high if you select a priority service for urgent shipping. For the best delivery prices, use the shipping calculator.
FedEx offers its international services to over 220 countries. Even though it has slightly higher shipping costs, this is balanced by its high quality of service. Its global services options include:
- International Next Flight
- International First
- International Priority
- International Economy
- International Ground
- International Next Flight
Using the international shipping calculator can simplify the process of obtaining the best delivery prices. You can also compare the shipping prices of different services and pick one that best fits your requirements.